Adlens Innovations – enhancing virtual and augmented reality experiences
Adlens Innovations is the pre-eminent authority on the design and application of adjustable focus technology.
ALVAREZ DUAL LENS TECHNOLOGY
Adlens is a leader in the design and production of Alvarez lenses and has pioneered the development and manufacture of non-round fluid optics which mimic the eye’s natural dynamic behaviour.
Both these dynamic lens technologies have the potential to radically improve the optical experience of the end user in both AR and VR spheres. They have the potential to create a more immersive experience by dealing with vision correction, the loss of accommodation caused by Presbyopia and eliminating the vengence accommodation conflict which causes nausea and disorientation.
Optically a more immersive experience is possible through improved clarity, reduced aberration and the ability to accurately render images to appear in 3D, in sharp focus at any distance between 30cm and infinity.
Overall design, user comfort and bulk can also be improved by eliminating the need to wear glasses.
ALVAREZ LENS SOLUTION FOR VIRTUAL REALITY EYESIGHT CORRECTION
- Continuously adjustable gliding lenses, this encompasses two wave shaped plates that can glide across one another
- No need for glasses to correct vision
- Static image plane – known dynamic optics
- Improved clarity, reduced aberration and minimal lens flare
An Adlens core competence is the manufacture of these adjustable lens glasses at scale & quality with very low cost
VARIABLE POWER FLUID LENSES FOR AUTOFOCUS IN AUGMENTED REALITY
- Fluid filled lens that mimics the eye’s natural dynamic behaviour
- Accurately renders the AR image at any distance between 30cm and infinity
- Eliminates nausea effects of VAC
- Enables full field of vision for over-45s at all focal distances without use of corrective eyewear
- Utilises patented non-round, edge compression technology
- Fast response in conjunction with latest eye tracking systems
- Thin and light with excellent aesthetics
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Since 2004 Adlens has been actively building IP in Alvarez and Fluid-Filled technology with Patent Applications, Registered Designs, Copyright and Trademarks granted in the US, EU, Japan, & China.
Additional related IP covers materials, control & actuation, electronics integration, eye-tracking, dispensing and AR/VR applications.
- Leading capability in the design and manufacture of high-quality Alvarez type lenses
- The world’s foremost innovator in fluid based adjustable lens for eye correction
- $125 million invested over 10+ years
- Extensive knowledge and global patent pool in connection with fluid lens design
Our Knowledge ophthalmic expertise and pilot line make us an ideal development partner for those looking to make step changes in realms of smart eyewear, virtual reality and augmented reality experiences.
John Kennedy CEO
John joined Adlens® in 2017 and leads the strategic development of the company business, including AR and VR. His background is in high growth tech companies.
John has an MBA from INSEAD and an MEng in Manufacturing Engineering from Cambridge University.
Dr. Rob Stevens, CTO
Rob joined Adlens® in 2008 and leads the development of the fluid-filled and Alvarez lens technology in the company. He holds over 25 patents and applications for the company.
Rob has a DPhil in Physics and Optics from Oxford University, and was a Lecturer at Jesus College.
Sian James, Programme Director
Sian joined Adlens® in 2017 as Programme Director for Adlens Innovations. She has previously led innovation programmes in a number of multi-national businesses, including Xerox and Dyson.
Sian is a Chartered Engineer (IMechE) and holds an MEng in Manufacturing Engineering from the University of Cambridge.