Overall purpose of the job
To lead on the system design and integration of adaptive focus VR and eyewear products (glasses).
The candidate will be responsible for leading the system design, integration and control system development with a small team of specialists including a Mechanical Design Engineer, an Opthalmic Lens Expert and Optical Design Specialists.
The role requires a broad knowledge of optics, mechanics and practical knowledge of control systems specification and development.
Initial focus will be on delivering benchtop development rigs to be used for consumer testing. This development work will feed into the next rounds of product development and ultimately transfer into manufacturing.
This role will be responsible for two specific areas of development: VR Adaptive focus lens systems to overcome the vergence accommodation conflict and eyewear adaptive focus lens systems to overcome Presbyopia.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Integrating optics, mechanical engineering and control systems into development rigs and products.
- Owning the specification, design integration and delivery.
- Leading other members of the project team to achieve fully integrated and optimized design.
- Liaising with optical design team and trading optical design performance alongside holistic product requirements.
- A good understating of optics and optical control systems.
- The ability to specify opto-mechanical and control systems requirements within vision systems.
- An appreciation of ophthalmic considerations and specific experience of integrating eye tracking systems would be an advantage.
- In developing vision systems specific knowledge understanding transient response times and the ability to calibrate for individual requirements would be an advantage.
- Vision systems development
- Opto-mechanical design experience
- A good knowledge of optics, optical design - ability to manipulate the numbers. understand optical interdependencies and trade-offs.
- Control system specification, development and integration
- 3D solid and surface modelling – Solidworks
- 2D drawings – Solidworks
- CAD data management – PDM system
- Tolerance stack analysis
- Worked with a variety of manufacturing techniques in a number of different materials.
Ownership of Optical datuming and referencing
- Setup with and ownership of optical positioning and geometry in product.
- Ownership of opto-mechanical tolerance – from optical design through manufacture to final product
- Communication and ensuring use of optical referencing through the product lifecycle. (design, tooling, testing, production)
Realising design in Solidworks CAD system
- Understanding of complex CAD model set-ups
- Appreciation of minute factors & general 'sound' modelling principles
- Ability to work methodically, consistently & transparently (esp. within CAD)
Design working practice expectations
- Leadership, project management and cross functional team working
- Close working with manufacturing team to produce holistic design solutions
- High standard of engineering work, design control, robust design, tolerance stack analysis, design for manufacture, input into dFMEA’s (design failure mode and effect analysis)
- Develop and follow CAD best practices required of the technology
- Aptitude to learn, take on and resolve complex problems
- Be a proactive self-starter capable of prioritising tasks within the project deliverables.
- Adapt and evolve as part of a small design team and growing business.
- Seek out new technologies and core competencies in line with the future product roadmap and develop the supply chain to fulfil.
- The successful candidate will have the experience and a relevant degree level education to work with a highly qualified team at the top of their game.
- Good A-levels grades including maths.
Other requirements / Information
- Team player
- Willing to constructively challenge team members to deliver stretching goals
- Ability to see both the big picture and drill into detail
- Highly organised, good at juggling competing priorities
- Dealing with uncertainty: comfortable working with a large number of “unknowns” and high levels of project risk
- Flexible and willing to learn
- Positive, energetic and enthusiastic about new technologies
- Keen to work in a fast-moving rapidly changing entrepreneurial environment
- Eligible to work in the UK
Email the following information to email@example.com
- Full Name
- Email Address
- Telephone Number
- Cover Letter (.pdf /.doc / .docx)
- CV / Resume (.pdf / .doc / .docx)
- Linkedin Profile URL (if available)
Please make sure you put the Job Title role you are applying for in the subject line.
Job Applicant Privacy Notice
If you submit an application to Adlens , your application and personal details will be processed in accordance with the policy outlined in our Job Applicant Privacy Notice.